A collection of shots from Hinton Ampner, a stately home with gardens near Alresford
The first house on the grounds of Hinton Ampner was a Tudor mansion built around the 1540s. This was demolished at the end of the 18th century and replaced by a Georgian house which passed into the ownership of the Dutton family in 1820. John Thomas Dutton, 2nd Baron Sherborne, decided in 1865 to redesign the existing Georgian structure, incorporating it into an elaborate Tudor Gothic extension.
His grandson Ralph Dutton (8th and last Lord Sherborne) inherited the house in 1935 and wasted no time in converting what he described as a “building of exceptional hideousness” into something more comfortable and modern in Neo-Georgian style. He also designed the extensive gardens. We enjoyed very much visiting the house which contains many works of art. Hinton Ampner is now a National Trust property.
$updated from: Basingstoke and Around.htxt Mon 03 May 2021 16:08:34 trvl2 (By Vero and Thomas Lauer)$